Amazon Athena: Resources, Guides and Best Practices
Learn everything you need to get started with Amazon Athena, or discover new best practices that can help you improve performance and reduce costs. Browse through our library of blogs, ebooks, webinars and videos to find answers to your most pressing questions about Athena and the related ecosystem.
Benchmarks and comparisons
Learn how Athena stacks up with other databases and analytic tools.
- [Blog] Benchmarking Athena and BigQuery - Performance and Price: We ran a series of SQL queries against the same dataset in Amazon Athena and Google BigQuery, and measured the time it took to return query results as well as the costs. We also tested the impact of data preparation. Read more
- [Blog] Deciding between Athena and Redshift: We look at typical use cases for these two popular AWS tools and attempt to give a few high-level guidelines to decide which of the two you should use. Read more Read more
Analyzing streaming data in Athena
Streaming data is challenging in unique ways. See how to build efficient data pipelines that enable you to query event streams in Athena:
- [Blog] ETL your Kinesis Data to Athena with UpSQL: In this step-by-step guide, we demonstrate how you can use UpSQL to ingest data from Kinesis to S3 and create a structured table in Athena using only regular SQL. Read more
- [Video] Kafka to Athena We look at typical use cases for these two popular AWS tools and attempt to give a few high-level guidelines to decide which of the two you should use. Read more Watch now
ETL and Data Preparation for Athena
Athena reads data directly from Amazon S3, and the way data is stored on S3 can have a dramatic impact on how much value you get from Athena. Discover best practices around partitioning, compaction and file formats to learn how to optimize your data for analytic consumption.
- [Webinar] ETL for Amazon Athena: ETL for Amazon Athena: Watch this on-demand webinar to learn the essential guidelines and unique characteristics of ETL for Athena - including partitioning, compaction, pre-joining data and more. Watch now
- [Blog] 6 Data Preparation Tips for Querying Big Data in Athena: A written and abridged version of the above webinar, if you’re more into text than video. Read more
- [Blog] Solving the Problem of Small Files on S3: Learn how merging small JSON files on S3 into larger files can improve query performance, including benchmarks, and discover the best practices for doing so. Read more
Improving Athena Performance
Check out our handy guides to learn how to make your Athena queries run faster.
- [Blog] Partitioning Data on S3 to Improve Performance in Athena: When storing data on an AWS data lake, partitioning is key to ensure optimal query performance. Check out our guide to partitioning strategies to learn how to do it right. Read more
- [eBook] Athena Challenges and Best Practices: earn how to avoid common pitfalls, reduce costs and ensure high performance when working with Amazon Athena. Read more Read more
- [Blog] Ultimate Guide to Improving Athena Performance: LUnderstand the basics of what drives Athena performance, and typical things to look out for to ensure queries return quickly. Read more
Case studies and reference architectures
See real-life examples and reference architectures to see how companies are using Amazon Athena to analyze large volumes of data.
- How Sisense uses Athena for operational BI and ad-hoc analytics
- How Bigabid uses Athena to explore advertising data and improve machine learning models
- How SimilarWeb uses Athena to analyze 100s of terabytes of data
- How Browsi ETL 4bn events to power BI dashboards built on Athena
- How Meta Networks uses Athena as part of its agile streaming data infrastructure
Schedule a Demo
Discover why Upsolver is the industry-leading ETL tool for Amazon Athena.